08 July 2015

Classroom Improvements


I'm linking up with Lucky Little Learners & Schroeder Schenanigans in 2nd for the #2getherWeAreBetter!  

This month they're focusing on Classroom Improvements.  I don't officially start in my classroom until 20 July and I'm taking over a classroom where the teacher encouraged me to make any changes if needed.  So I'm going to list the 3 things I want to implement in my upcoming class.

#1 - CAFE & Daily 5


I never got around to fully implementing this in the classroom before moving to Australia, but I did do parts of it and found it beneficial.  I taught 8-9 year olds and I'll continue to work with that age group, so I'm liking the chance to implement these as a Reading Rotation.  It allows me to work with students in small groups and one-on-one.  I have seen the Daily 5 book as a book study on some education blogs, so I bought the book to really read up on it.  I know it'll take the students a few weeks to really get into the groove of this, but I know it'll benefit my classroom.  (I got my Daily 5 signs from Ladybug's Teacher Files!)


#2 - Math Games & Groups


Like Reading Rotations I'll also work on using Maths Groups & Rotations.  One thing that REALLY helped my class from TPT was all the maths games!  My students loved SCOOT & I Have... Who Has? games.  I just purchased "I Can..." Maths games from One Stop Teacher Shop and I know these will be great in my class.  The best way to make sure your students really retain & understand most math skills is through regular practice through a variety of outlets.  I usually start each lesson with a math word problem that students solve as a class, explore the lesson, and allow a rotation of practice skills.  I'm hoping to add more hands-on exploration with these Maths Games and improve maths lessons. (You can get the "I Can..." games at One Stop Teacher Shop on TPT!)

#3 - Daily Affirmations

One thing I enjoyed that the teacher did with the class I'm taking over is having students do daily affirmation responses in their morning journals.  Students would write a daily goal and reflect on the previous day, upcoming day, and so on.  I plan to keep this rhythm, but I'll be giving students a daily quote/affirmation that they would respond to and explain what it means to them, then write a goal based on that quote.  I'm hoping this will get students in the right mindset for the day and their lives! (Check out my collection of Class Affirmations Board on Pinterest!)

1 comment:

  1. This is the best way to make sure your students really really retain and understand most of the math skills is throughs regular practice through a variety of outlets. I usually start each lesson with a math word problem that students solve as a class, explore the lesson.

    My Blog

    ReplyDelete