03 June 2015

Waiting for the Magic


About the Book

The above summary was taken from ARBookFind, and it's basically that.  But it doesn't begin to tell about the magic within this book.  Papa leaves and Mama is left to care for William and Elinor alone, yet they adopt quite the gaggle of pets.  Little do they know the magic that ends up unfolding and how all the dogs and cat bring the family closer together.  You can read more on GoodReads, but be mindful of spoilers.

Sunshine State Young Readers

This book was on a list of Sunshine State Young Reader Award Program, where a list of books are chosen and students can read and vote for their favorite book on the list.  Even though I don't teach in Florida anymore, I still recommend the books on the list!

My Personal Review

NO spoilers, I promise.  Sometimes I worry about the books I choose for a read aloud, I don't want them to be too sad or scary as I usually like to keep it up beat.  However, I was teaching 8-9 year olds who often have different circumstances/backgrounds.  This is a great book that takes a sad situation, but shine a bit of light on the lives of the characters.  I found myself enjoying the book more and more.

My Class Review

I read this as a read aloud for my class.  We would come back from Specials and I would give 10-15 minutes of snack/finishing morning work.  As they worked or just sat and ate their snack, I would read a chapter or two of a book.  I gave a choice of books I had on hand and my students voted for this.  It was a good book to read aloud at the beginning of the year due to the level of the book.

My students were always engaged and would love to have a discussion at the end of each chapter.  They were so engaged that they could pass the AR test on the book without rereading on their own or using the book.  They LOVED the magic element with the animals!  (Kids just love animals to begin with, then add in a dash of magic and you're set!)

Have you read this book? What are your thoughts?

Got any book recommendations for us teachers to use in your class?

No comments:

Post a Comment